USC students and faculty come together in opposition of immigration ban

Academics United brought together a diverse group of students and faculty in a gathering of solidarity and unity in opposition of the visa and immigration ban. The event held on Davis Field I was meant to be a place for conversations with brief presentations and open mic sessions for those willing to tell their stories.

“I think it’s our obligation as a university as human beings to resist this and I think we need more events like this that are peaceful signs of dissent,” one member of the crowd who chose to speak said.

Public health professor Deborah Billings emceed and emphasized that an estimated 134 million people have been affected by the executive order and the event was a chance to show support for those people.

“We’re not just gathering to be against something, we’re also here together to stand for something,” Billings said, And we do have solutions and we do have positive ideas and those are the kind of things that we want to push forward together.”

Engineering school dean Dr. Hossein Haj-Hariri, who was born in Iran and came to the US in 1978, expressed his sympathy for those who were unable to see their families. He recognized, however, that there are too many people invested in their success for them to give up.

“Stay the course continue to excel in your studies and academic pursuits and the university remains committed to your well-being,” Haj-Hariri said.

Many students who came from those countries affected by the ban did so without the support of their families seeking a better future. One speaker emphasized the purpose of the gathering.

“Those of us most directly affected by this visa and immigration ban have a simple message; we want to be able to finish our studies without having to choose between our future and our families,” he said.

One chemical engineering doctorate student shared his story of being stuck in Istanbul for two days due to the immigration ban. He is on a full scholarship and has a student visa, but was stuck at the airport because of his nationality and missed the beginning of the semester.

“All of my professional goals and academic career was about to become a mirage,” he said.

Spanish professor Jorge Camacho, who came to the US from Cuba as a refugee 17 years ago, empathized with those affected and shared his advice.

“I full heartedly agree with those who want to come to this country to look for the freedom they don’t have in their own country,” Camacho said. “Don’t fall in the trap try to stand strong try to show dignity and try to help those who don’t have help and just want to find refuge in this country.”