Recap: SG cabinet discusses Down syndrome awareness, compost, possible Woodrow basketball court renovation

Student Government discussed Down syndrome awareness, sustainability month and possible Woodrow basketball court renovations during its weekly Tuesday meeting. 

"I think it's really cool that we continue to do these partnerships across the SEC and ... we can come together to raise awareness on key issues," Student Body President Luke Rankin said of Student Government's efforts to raise awareness for Down syndrome at this weekend's football game against Georgia.

South Carolina's Student Government collaborated with Georgia's Student Government to "dress down for Down syndrome," an initiative to encourage students to ditch polos, button-ups and dresses in favor of dressing down and wearing a jersey or a T-shirt. 

"No matter who wins, no matter who you're cheering for, we're coming together to support awareness for Down syndrome and for other learning disabilities," Rankin said.

Rankin said this is his administration's first partnership with another SEC school. 

Cabinet members also discussed adding a new compost bin in Russell House. 

"We're going to be just teaching people, 'Hey, look, there's this new compost bin here,' and, 'What do you actually put inside of it?'" said Emma Sylves-Berry, secretary of environmental affairs.

The compost bin will be only for food and food scraps. Sylves-Berry said the event is called Eat Green Think Green. There will be a pledge board inside of Russell House so passersby can pledge to practice sustainability and dine-in to reduce waste. 

October serves as campus sustainability month, so Sylves-Berry said Student Government is partnering with sustainability-focused USC student organizations to raise awareness.

Student Government members are also looking into a potential renovation of Woodrow basketball court. 

One option is a simple renovation of the basketball court itself, and another is the creation another Horseshoe-like outdoor area for students. However, Rankin said nothing is set in stone and members still need to be recruited to get involved in the project.