South Carolina vs. Clemson: A rivalry full of traditions

The South Carolina and Clemson rivalry dates back to 1896, when the schools met for their first football game in Columbia. 

Since then, the schools have implemented traditions that make up the second longest continuing rivalry in Division I college football. 

Big Thursday

From 1896 to 1959, the Gamecocks and Tigers took the field in Columbia on the Thursday during the State Fair each year.  

After a riot during the 1902 game, the teams did not face each other for seven years. 

The first game had roughly 2,000 fans in attendance. Last year, over 80,000 fans attended the South Carolina vs. Clemson matchup.

"2001: A Space Odyssey" vs. "Running Down the Hill"

The South Carolina Gamecocks enter the field Saturdays to the theme song of Stanley Kubrick's film "2001: A Space Odyssey." This tradition began in 1983.

The Gamecocks gather in the southwest corner of the stadium, waiting to take the field. As the song begins to play, Cocky appears amid the smoke and the Carolina Band makes a tunnel surrounding the players. 

Clemson's famous tradition of rubbing Howard's Rock as they "Run Down The Hill" in Memorial Stadium started in  the 1960s. 

Former Clemson head coach Frank Howard was given the rock by a friend, and it is believed to give the football players special powers. After a win over Virginia in 1966, Howard gave players permission to rub the rock for good luck before each game, which started with the first of 1967 against Wake Forest.

Carolina vs. Clemson Blood Battle

For the 35th consecutive year, the Gamecocks and the Tigers will participate in an annual blood drive competition.

This week-long event is one of the largest blood drives in the nation, and both campuses will have permanent and moving locations for students and faculty to donate blood. The school that stacks up the most blood donations wins.

South Carolina currently holds an 18-16 lead over Clemson in the annual Blood Battle.

Cocky vs. The Tiger

Each student at South Carolina is familiar with Cocky, the school's mascot since 1980.

Before him was The Rooster, South Carolina's first mascot. Current Gamecock biology professor John Nelson could be seen in the suit from 1971 to 1973, at which time he was a student at South Carolina. Then came Big Spur from 1974 to 1979.

Earlier this year, Cocky was named to Sports Illustrated's top-10 list of "The Greatest Mascots in College Football History."  

Clemson's mascot, The Tiger, has been at football games in Memorial Stadium since 1954. 

In 1993, he was joined by "The Tiger Cub." These two mascots can be seen roaming the field together on game days and doing pushups each time Clemson scores. 

The South Carolina and Clemson football teams now meet on the last weekend of November, during college football rivalry week. The teams will play Nov. 30 in Williams-Brice Stadium at noon.