Trustus Theatre teams up with Coker College to show 'We Are Proud to Present...'

Trustus Theatre is preparing for its opening night performance of “We Are Proud to Present…,” a tale that mixes history and tragedy with today’s world. The show is written by Jackie Sibblies Drury and directed by Andrew Schwartz.

Coker College teamed up with Trustus Theatre to revitalize the production. The student actors cast in the production are stepping back into familiar roles, as the majority of the actors brought “We Are Proud to Present…” to the stage as freshmen at Coker.

“We Are Proud to Present…” details the genocide of the Herero tribe from Namibia by German colonizers in the 20th century as it is described by college students who might only have one side of the story. Chad Henderson, Trustus' artistic director and a USC alumnus, said although the characters are learning about and teaching the audience what happened to the Herero tribe, it is not that black and white.

“As an audience, we are invited to witness the often-mystified creative process, as well as experience how the power of the perception affects our daily experiences,” Henderson said in an email interview.

Trustus is hosting “We Are Proud to Present…” in its Side Door Theatre, which seats 50 guests, instead of its Thigpen Main Stage, which seats 132. The intimacy of the space allows the audience to form a deeper connection not only with the cast, but the message of the play itself. As the characters stumble upon revelations and inconsistencies in the side of the story they are hearing from, the audience is left asking the same questions and mulling over what is right and wrong.

“Audiences should come and see this production because it has the potential to change their perceptions and to bring the lessons of the past into our haunted present. We get to examine how we view each other,” Henderson said.

Though the events of “We Are Proud to Present…” took place between 1884 and 1915, the characters are modern college students who struggle to grasp how events from so long ago echo events taking place today.

Trustus is showcasing “We Are Proud to Present…” to introduce its audience to the works of Drury, a contemporary playwright whose piece “Fairview” won the 2019 Pulitzer.

Henderson said picking works by Drury was deliberate, as they want “to prepare our artists and audiences for having complex conversations about race within our walls.”

“This production, this story, and this subject matter is completely unexpected — and you don’t have to go to New York or Chicago to experience it. It’s right here in your backyard," Henderson said.

“We Are Proud to Present…” is showing on Jan. 16 to 18 at 8 p.m. and a matinee Jan. 18 at 2 p.m. Trustus offers student tickets at $10.