USC alum, congressional candidate Moe Brown calls for removal of Strom Thurmond's name from fitness center

Congressional candidate and USC athlete alum Moe Brown held a press conference Friday to support the changing of the name of the Strom Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center. 

Brown gave his speech at the center itself, calling for the removal of Strom Thurmond’s name from the facility and calling for the university to “be better."   

Brown acknowledged the senator's service to the state but also reminded the crowd of the senator's racist beliefs. 

“Senator Thurmond’s beliefs were consistent with a bigot, a racist and segregationist mindset that was deeply rooted in the South, so much so that he was a presidential candidate for the segregationist states rights democrats in 1948,” Brown said. 

Brown read statements from alums Cheslie Kryst, reigning Miss USA, Natasha Hastings, two-time gold medalist Olympian and former Gamecock running back Marcus Lattimore, who were all in support of changing the name of the facility but could not be present at the meeting.

“While Carolina was a place I called home, for three and a half years, it never felt like home knowing that racist bigots were memorized and celebrated on campus. I know my fellow black student also felt this way,” Brown said, reading the statement from Hastings. 

Brown said he has suggestions as to what the building should be renamed and would work with the presidential commission of university history to make these suggestions heard. 

To change the name of the center though, Brown would still have to go through the Heritage Act. Brown said he is “confident” he can get past it. 

Brown said he will continue to work with USC when it comes to how USC’s history is portrayed in public. 

“I’m so Gamecock it ain’t even funny," Brown said. "So my commitment to the Gamecocks and what we believe to be true will be everlasting, and whenever I can lend my voice and support we’re going to be here to help those efforts."

Women's basketball coach Dawn Staley also spoke during the conference, giving her support for the change of the building's name. 

"I'm standing here with them for change. I'm supporting what they believe in because change needs to happen. If somebody or anybody creates a division amongst people on this campus, then they got to go," Staley said.

Student Body President Issy Rushton and Vice President Hannah White, present at the press conference, said these changes are a group effort and will continue to push for action. 

“It’s not enough to do some research. It's not enough to identify the conflicts of these buildings. It's not enough. We have to move forward with action, and that is something we will continue to push and continue to make sure happens,” Rushton said.