COVID-19 dashboard update: Cases up to 303 as semester starts

As students return to campus, USC reports a total of 303 active COVID-19 cases, according to the updated COVID-19 dashboard.

Of the total cases, 254 are student cases and 49 are employee cases. This number is just below double the count of the 165 cases reported last Friday. 

Between Jan. 8 and Jan. 11, USC conducted 6,204 tests, with a positive rate of 1.72%. This is a lower rate than the 2.06% positive rate between Jan. 5 and Jan. 7. 

Of the 6,204 tests, 5,586 were student tests with a positive rate of 1.76%. The employees, who made up 618 of the tests, had a positive rate of 1.43%.

Since Jan. 1, there have been 399 reported COVID-19 cases. Of those, 96 have recovered. 

Before returning to campus, students, faculty and staff are required to upload COVID-19 testing results to the MyHealthSpace portal, according to the Return to Learn Plan

Students and faculty can find their respective testing schedules and locations for this week on the university's COVID-19 website. Tests will be administered at the Student Health Center and at the Carolina Coliseum. 

As of now, 1.79% of about 600 quarantine and isolation dorms are in use. 

The alert level is at 0.27 and remains at the "new normal," the lowest of the four alert levels. The alert level is calculated using 11 factors, including campus testing, campus case burden and isolation and quarantine capacity. 

The COVID-19 dashboard will be updated every Tuesday and Friday.