COVID-19 on campus: USC reports 420 active cases

The university updated its COVID-19 dashboard, reporting a total of 420 active COVID-19 cases — an increase from last week's case count of 168.  

Of the positive cases, 398 are student cases and 22 are employee cases. 

USC conducted 8,342 tests between Aug. 29 and Sept. 4. Of the 8,342 tests, 6,884 were student tests with a positive rate of 5.1% and 1,428 tests were employee tests with a positive rate of 0.9%. 

Since Aug. 1, there have been 818 positive COVID-19 cases. Of those, 398 have recovered. 

As of Sept. 4, the vaccination rate on campus is estimated to be about 64%. The student vaccination rate is about 63.1%, the faculty vaccination rate is about 74.9% and the staff vaccination rate is about 64.1%. 

Students, faculty and staff can get a walk-up vaccine at the Center for Health and Well-Being from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Friday. 

All students are required to get COVID-19 tested once a month. Students and faculty can find their testing schedules and locations for this week on the university’s COVID-19 website

Testing will be done at the Student Health Center, the Carolina Coliseum and the 3rd floor of Russell House for students, faculty and staff, and at 1311 Pendleton Street for faculty and staff.

The alert level is at 0.50 and is set between the “new normal” and “low” levels. The alert level is based on 11 factors, including campus testing, isolation capacity and campus case burden.

The COVID-19 dashboard is updated every Tuesday.