University makes changes to student gate entry following season opener's challenges

<p>The Sandstorm begins in the student section as rally towels are flailed around. The celebration occurred after a great play during the Gamecocks vs. Eastern Illinois on Sept. 4, 2021.</p>
The Sandstorm begins in the student section as rally towels are flailed around. The celebration occurred after a great play during the Gamecocks vs. Eastern Illinois on Sept. 4, 2021.

After a chaotic start to the Gamecocks’ football season following troubles at the student gate during the season opener, some modifications have been set in place for the upcoming games at Williams-Brice. 

According to an update on the university’s website, there has been “significant work done in redesigning and reimagining the student gates,” in efforts to prevent any further challenges, such as those that occurred at the first game. As far as lower-lever gate entry goes, the physical barrier set-up has been reconfigured to aid in a productive flow of travel into the gate. 

Students will be asked to enter a series of lanes just outside of the student gate prior to ticket scanning. In addition to this, an extra entryway into the lower-lever will be opened, extra signage to aid in navigation will be added and additional staff will be in the stadium.

Early arrival in the stadium for the game will be incentivized in attempts to lessen congestion around the gates closer to kickoff. Student gates will open two hours prior to kick-off, and students who arrive at least 45 minutes prior to kick-off will receive incentives, such as one additional Gamecock Reward point and/or discounted concessions. 

The first 5,000 students to arrive will also receive a free water bottle upon entry. The university recommends some helpful tips for easier entry, such as transferring your ticket into your Apple/Android wallet, keeping your phone charged by bringing a portable charger, knowing what gate to enter according to your ticket and keeping hydrated throughout the course of the game-day.