Dawn Staley lands 7-year, $22.4M contract extension

<p>Head coach Dawn Staley talks to players during a timeout at the first round of the NCAA playoffs in the Halton Arena on Friday.&nbsp;</p>
Head coach Dawn Staley talks to players during a timeout at the first round of the NCAA playoffs in the Halton Arena on Friday. 

Head women’s basketball coach Dawn Staley signed a seven-year, $22.4 million contract extension, the University of South Carolina announced on Friday. 

The extension secures Staley through the 2027-2028 season. 

Staley’s base compensation will start out at $1 million a year under the new contract and outside compensation will start at $1.9 million. 

"Dawn Staley is one of the nation's top coaches, regardless of the sport," South Carolina Athletics Director Ray Tanner told Gamecocks Online. “She has built our women's basketball program from the ground up, and her teams have produced champions, both on and off the floor."

The extension has additional performance bonuses opportunities that go up to $680,000 per year.

"It's always been an honor to represent the University of South Carolina, and this contract represents the university's commitment to supporting me and our women's basketball program," Staley told Gamecocks Online. "Contract negotiations are challenging, but this one was especially important as I knew it could be a benchmark, an example for other universities to invest in their women's basketball programs, too."

Staley will speak to the media regarding the contract on Friday at 5 p.m.