COVID-19 on campus: USC reports 410 active cases

<p>USC reported 12 active COVID-19 cases on campus on Tuesday. This is a increase of one case since last week's total of 11 active cases. &nbsp;</p>
USC reported 12 active COVID-19 cases on campus on Tuesday. This is a increase of one case since last week's total of 11 active cases.  

The university reported a decline to 410 active COVID-19 cases on campus, according to the university's online COVID-19 dashboard. 

4,153 cases were reported to the university since Jan. 1, according to data USC released on Tuesday. Of the 410 total active cases, 374 are students and 36 are faculty and staff. 

This is less than half of last week's reported number of 1,003 active cases.

At a 10.1% positivity rate for students, about one in 10 students who got tested from Jan. 23 to Jan. 29 tested positive. 

This falls below South Carolina's 23.9% positivity rate. There are currently 3,322 cases in South Carolina, according to data the S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control reported Tuesday. 

Interim university President Harris Pastides said in a message to the Carolina community during the first week of class that he expects a surge of cases throughout January and February. 

"I'm hopeful that, in a couple of months, the worst of Omicron will be behind us," Pastides said.

Approximately 70% of students, 81% of faculty and 68% of staff are vaccinated, the university reported. Those who wish to can schedule an appointment to receive the COVID-19 vaccine through MyHealthSpace. 

USC students, faculty and staff can get tested and vaccinated on campus. Monthly student testing is required. Testing up until Feb. 4 is located at the Carolina Coliseum from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. for all. 1301 Pendleton Street is open 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. for faculty and staff only. 

The current alert level is set between the low and moderate levels. USC's COVID-19 dashboard calculates an alert level based on 11 factors including campus testing, isolation capacity and campus case burden. 

USC updates its COVID-19 dashboard every Tuesday.