Preview: South Carolina begins 2022 baseball season with revamped staff, roster

<p>FILE— The Gamecocks group up before the first scrimmage against UNCW on Oct. 23, 2021. The South Carolina baseball team was swept in a weekend series against Clemson.&nbsp;</p>
FILE— The Gamecocks group up before the first scrimmage against UNCW on Oct. 23, 2021. The South Carolina baseball team was swept in a weekend series against Clemson. 

Coming off a 34-23 (16-14 SEC) 2021 campaign, the South Carolina baseball team is aiming for a deep, postseason run in 2022. Entering his fifth season, head coach Mark Kingston said the team wants to prove that it can be "really good."

"Coming off last season, it was a very good season," Kingston said. "We're still looking for great seasons and I think this team knows that." 

Despite losing four starting position players, South Carolina will have a veteran presence in 2022 with fifth-year outfielder Andrew Eyster, junior infielder Braylen Wimmer, senior utility player Josiah Sightler and junior catcher Colin Burgess returning to play. 

Eyster said he embraces being one of the oldest players on the team. 

"It's something where a lot of the younger guys feel like they look up to me because I've been doing this for so long and I'm someone they can come talk to if they ever need advice," he said. "Also, I can come out and lead by example. I'm not a very vocal person but I think people respect the way I go about my business and it's something they can look up to and emulate."

The Gamecocks will also be leaning on many newcomers to play everyday. In the transfer portal, the team added fifth-year outfielder and first baseman Brandt Belk and senior outfielder Matt Hogan, who have performed well as contact hitters in the past. Freshmen infielder Michael Braswell and outfielder Thad Ector could find their way into the lineup as well.

Last year's lineup struggled with its reliance on the long ball, which resulted in more strikeouts and less runs as the season wore on. With the arrival of new hitting coach, Chad Caillet, the offense will be changing its approach at the plate.   

"I think we're not going to rely on the home runs as much as we did last year," Burgess said. "We're going to strike out a little bit less, get on-base, move a runner over, bunt. I think we're going to look real good this year as an offense as a whole."

On the mound, South Carolina will be replacing two starting pitchers from last year as senior Thomas Farr and graduate Brannon Jordan were selected in the 2021 MLB Draft. Sophomore right-hander Will Sanders and junior left-hander Julian Bosnic are expected to fill the void in the starting rotation this year. 

As a true freshman, Sanders said he thrived in both a late-inning role and as a Sunday starter, pitching to a 6-3 win-loss record with a 3.54 ERA. Guaranteed to play a big role in Kingston's pitching plans each weekend, Sanders said he doesn't see it as pressure, but as fun.

"I see it as an opportunity to compete and show that my work that I do in the offseason and when I'm not at the field, that it has benefited me in every way," Sanders said.

After being drafted in the 16th round, Bosnic said he decided to come back to prove he can be a capable starting pitcher for the Gamecocks. Pitching primarily in relief last season, the southpaw struck out 78 batters in 50.2 innings while posting a 2.84 ERA. 

Though he had a solid strikeout rate, Bosnic struggled with walks, which he said he's been working to correct with first-year pitching coach Justin Parker. 

"Just going with coach Parker and looking at the video and really hammering out why I'm missing arm side or why I'm missing down low," Bosnic said. "So that when we hammered out the mechanics it's going to lead up to filling the zone more so that I will have less balls and more strikes, and that'll lead to more swings and misses."

In a radio appearance on 107.5 The Game’s Halftime Show, Kingston said he'll likely go with Sanders, Sightler and junior right-hander James Hicks on the mound this weekend. He added that Bosnic is unlikely to pitch in the team's first series as he recovers from a flexor strain in his elbow. 

“You’re not going to take chances early in the season with guys that can help you win the biggest games at the end of the year,” Kingston said. “Other guys will have to step up until he’s back.”

South Carolina will open the season on Friday against UNC Greensboro at Founders Park. First pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m. and can be streamed on SEC Network Plus.