Head track and field coach, assistant women's basketball coaches receive raises, contract extensions

<p>FILE—Women's basketball coach Dawn Staley waves to fans after a parade on April 13, 2022, in honor of the team’s national championship win. The Gamecocks defeated UConn 64-49.&nbsp;</p>
FILE—Women's basketball coach Dawn Staley waves to fans after a parade on April 13, 2022, in honor of the team’s national championship win. The Gamecocks defeated UConn 64-49. 

Four South Carolina athletics coaches received raises and contract extensions after approval from the board of trustees on June 24. 

Head men's and women's track and field coach Curtis Frye earned a one-year extension through June 30, 2023. His salary will remain at $251,572. Frye played a critical role in helping 11 of his athletes compete in the NCAA Outdoor Championships in Eugene, Oregon, earlier this month. 

"I'm excited and hopeful for what's to come," Frye told GamecocksOnline earlier this month. 

Associate head women's basketball coach Lisa Boyer as well as assistant coaches Fred Chmiel and Jolette Law saw their contracts extended one year through March 31, 2023. In addition, each coach received an increase in pay. Boyer's current salary is $307,500 and will be increased to $400,000. Chmiel's salary was $249,500 and will be increased to $300,000. Law's salary was previously $246,000 and will be increased to $295,000.

For Boyer, who's been at South Carolina since 2008, she'll remain coaching with her longtime friend, head coach Dawn Staley, for at least another year. 

"When I coach with her, we're basically on the same page when it comes to the X's and O's," Boyer said in 2016. "At the same time too, we disagree and we can have some knock down drag outs and an hour later it's forgotten. I think that's how you are with friends."

The Gamecocks finished the 2022 season 35-2 (15-1 SEC) and defeated UConn 64-49 to win the national championship for the second time under Staley.

Staley will enter the second year of her seven-year, $22.4 million deal that she signed last October. After making $2.9 million last year, her pay will increase by $100,000 each year until her contract expires in 2027-28. She also made an extra $500,000 for winning last year's national championship along with a handful of other bonuses. 

During an interview before the national championship game Staley said the landscape of coaching is changing in women's basketball. 

"I think Black coaches are getting more jobs now, more Power Five jobs," she said. "They gotta do well because we don't really get recycled in other head coaching positions. I do think we need to bring awareness of longtime assistant coaches who haven't gotten an opportunity to head women's basketball programs."