Analysis: South Carolina women's basketball comes back to defeat LSU in highly anticipated matchup

<p>Sophomore guard Raven Johnson advances the ball up the court during South Carolina's game against Mississippi State at Colonial Life Arena on Jan. 7, 2024. Johnson scored 7 points across her 27 minutes of playing time in the Gamecocks' 85-66 victory against the Bulldogs.</p>
Sophomore guard Raven Johnson advances the ball up the court during South Carolina's game against Mississippi State at Colonial Life Arena on Jan. 7, 2024. Johnson scored 7 points across her 27 minutes of playing time in the Gamecocks' 85-66 victory against the Bulldogs.

The South Carolina women’s basketball team was triumphant in a down-to-the-wire contest against the LSU Tigers Thursday night, winning 76-70. 

The highly anticipated contest between No. 1 South Carolina and No. 9 LSU proved to be the biggest test for the Gamecocks so far this season, as the team had to come back from being down 11 points in the first quarter. The game also marked 15 consecutive wins versus LSU and 28 consecutive wins on the road for South Carolina.

"What we are witnessing is something truly special," head coach Dawn Staley said. "The energy that was in this building was great even though we were on the other side of it."

The first half was dominated by the Tigers, but the Gamecocks were able to keep the LSU lead to 5 points heading into halftime. LSU set the tone early with its interior presence, out-rebounding South Carolina 25-17 in the first half. Ten of those rebounds came on the offensive glass, compared to only three from the Gamecocks. 

Sophomore forward Chloe Kitts paced the Gamecocks in the first half with 10 points on 4-5 shooting, while freshman guard MiLaysia Fulwiley scored 8 points in just five minutes. Fulwiley capped the first half on a personal 5-0 run that featured a buzzer-beating three from the right wing. 

lsu-wbb.png

The second half, and particularly the fourth quarter, was where the Gamecocks played its strongest. South Carolina finished the game with 39 team rebounds— 12 being on the offensive glass — and was able to step up on defense down the stretch. 

"It was a game of runs," Staley said. "They made big plays. We made big plays. It was the team that made the last play was the one that was going to win this basketball game."

Among those who thrived in the spotlight was junior guard Bree Hall, who made two clutch 3-pointers late in the fourth quarter to help seal the deal. Hall finished with 10 points and five rebounds. Her contributions were exactly what South Carolina needed down the stretch to put the team ahead.

“It’s practice shots. It’s what she does every single day that we’re out on the court,” Staley said. “(She) puts in extra and didn’t hesitate.” 

Sophomore guard Raven Johnson finished with 13 points, nine rebounds and four assists. Her layup with 22 seconds left capped off the game and ensured victory for the Gamecocks. 

LSU was backed behind a strong game from junior forward Angel Reese, who finished with 15 points and eight rebounds. But her night ended early when her fifth foul was called with just over four minutes left in the game. 

Reese’s management late in the game was a head-scratching series of decisions from LSU head coach Kim Mulkey, who brought Reese back into the game with four fouls and over six minutes remaining.

Reese slapped Johnson’s arm on a fast-break, picking up her final foul and leaving LSU without its star player.

Strong plays from the Gamecocks’ complementary players were crucial after tough first halves from senior guard Te-Hina Paopao and senior center Kamilla Cardoso. Paopao finished with 12 points on 2-7 from 3-point range, while Cardoso finished with 11 points and eight rebounds after earning only 3 points and three rebounds in the first half. 

“It had all the dynamics of what you want every women’s basketball player to experience,” Staley said.

The Gamecocks (18-0, 6-0) will take on the Vanderbilt Commodores (17-3, 4-2) next when it returns to Colonial Life Arena on Sunday at 3 p.m. The game will be available on the SEC Network.