In Brief: 6/24/16

USC tuition jumps highest in five years

The USC Board of Trustees voted Friday to bump tuition up 3.25 percent, the largest increase in the past five years. Other South Carolina universities including Clemson, the College of Charleston, The Citadel and Winthrop are increasing their tuitions around the same percentage, The State reports. Due to a lack of state funding and a state-mandated pay raise for state employees, USC will have to pay whatever the state does not cover with student tuition. University spokesman Wes Hickman says tuition will cover 48 percent of USC's budget.

SC man hits lottery, quits job

After a Hartsville man won a $1 million South Carolina lottery, he called his fiancee and told her he was quitting his job. According to South Carolina Education Lottery officials, the man told his fiancee not to worry about anything. He would like to save the winnings, which were from a Gold Millions game, but his fiancee would like to use them for a cruise, WLTX reports. 

Attorneys disagree on Dylann Roof jury procedures

Conflict rose between the prosecution and defense attorneys over how a jury will be selected for Dylann Roof, the man accused of shooting and killing nine people in Charleston's Mother Emanuel AME Church last year. It is yet to be decided whether jurors should come from the Charleston area or from all over South Carolina, according to WLTX. There is also no consensus for how jurors will be questioned or removed.