Digital CarolinaCards promise "convenience" for students

USC students can officially use a digital version of their CarolinaCard around campus.

The system is provided through a partnership with the GET Mobile app, according to Jack Gabel, Student Government's secretary of student services.

"The only fees are for the university’s setup and licensing of the GET app," he said, "however, it is completely free for students to use."

Gabel praised the benefits of the system for students.

"Students now have the convenience and security of having a Carolina Card on their phone," he said.

Although Student Government and its partners are still working "to increase the functionality of the digital system," Gabel said the program is already available to students. They must download the GET Mobile app, select the University of South Carolina as their school and create an account using their VIP ID.

Students can make purchases and check their meal plan and Carolina Cash balances in the app. They can also review their purchase history, add funds and see nearby locations that accept Carolina Cash.

Students such as second-year biochemistry student Alexandra Tamura and second-year biology and Spanish student Madhura Pande see the initiative as a solution to one of the quintessential problems of campus life, forgetting your student ID.

"I'd be really interested in [a digital student ID], especially because sometimes you forget your CarolinaCard and then you're locked out of your building," Tamura said.

Pande agreed, saying, "I think students who often forget their CarolinaCards will have a much easier time having it on their phone already, because most of us already have our phones on us all of the time."

Student Body President Ross Lordo, who campaigned on introducing a digital student ID, praised the system.

“Digital Carolina Cards will add convenience and ease to the life of University of South Carolina students," he said. "I am proud of Student Government’s efforts, along with the work of the Carolina Card Office and Carolina Food Company, in this regard and look forward to witnessing the next era of our digital identification capabilities."