Track and field squads to compete at Virginia Tech

Teams headed to Blacksburg

The track and field program begins its season today in at the Virginia Tech Invitational in Blacksburg, Va.

The women's track and field team is ranked No. 20 in the preseason poll, and the team has been in the Preseason Top 20 for the past several seasons. The team is bolstered by a strong group of sprinters led by seniors Lakya Brookins and Shayla Mahan. Two seasons ago, Brookins became the first 60-meter NCAA champion in USC history. Last season, she won a NCAA bronze medal in the event.

"This year, she has had her best fall ever," coach Curtis Frye said. "She's never been through a full fall season without some kind of injury. She has not missed a practice. She's better then ever. She's been able to run all of our tests and has shown improvements in every area."

Frye is expecting the two seniors to lead the team to a successful season.

"We're excited about their work, and we're looking for two individual All-Americans in the 60-meter, Mahan probably in the 200-meter [as well]," Frye said.

The Gamecocks will compete against 22 other schools at the two-day meet, including North Carolina, Virginia, Arkansas and rival Clemson, which is currently the fifth-ranked women's team in the nation.

The team traveled to Clearwater, Fla., last week for an exhibition and stopped by Disney World. Frye said the trip helped connect the team and build relationships.

"I think we work as a unit. That'll put you farther ahead than ability without camaraderie," Frye said.

The men's team is ranked No. 29 after losing several key athletes, including hurdler Johnny Dutch, who decided to forgo his final year to turn professional. Despite the losses, Frye expects other athletes to step up and fill the gaps.

The team does return two senior All-Americans, however — Antonio Sales, a sprinter, and Michael Zajac, who competes in throws.