Fulbright scholarship awarded to seven international USC students

$8,000 grants given for graduate studies

The dream to study in America came true this year for seven students from across the world who are now living and learning at USC.

These seven students, hosted by International Student Services, are the Fulbright scholars who have arrived in Columbia for intensive study and research in their programs of interest that range from hospitality management to epidemiology.

The Fulbright Program, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA), provides 8,000 grants annually for students, scholars and professionals to partake in graduate studies, research programs and university teaching.

The Fulbright scholarship recipients at USC receive $8,000 per year funded through the State Department and their home country.

“The Fulbright Scholar provides a unique opportunity for students with strong academic backgrounds to USC and the United States in general,” International Student Services Adviser Gabriela Martinez said. “We’re grateful and honored to have seven new Fulbright students, and we hope this program grows.”

The Fulbright students are all excited to study in America and are taking advantage of the opportunities USC offers.

“[America] is the best place to obtain a graduate degree, and it is one of the biggest pools on terms of quality and quantity of human diversity and cultural exchange,” Azza Shoaibi from Ramallah, Palestine, said.

Shoaibi is obtaining her doctorate in epidemiology and plans to return home after completing the program in order to give back to the people and country that raised her.

The program is offered through several agencies that represent different areas of the world. The Fulbright scholars on campus are represented by AMIDEAST, a nonprofit organization focused on international education and training in the Middle East and North Africa, and the Institute of International Education (IIE), a nonprofit that gives students and professionals across the world the opportunity to study in another country.

Reem Deeb from Lebanon is pursing a master’s degree in earth and environmental resource management. The Fulbright scholarship helped to make her dream to study in the U.S. come true. Deeb is impressed by the academic standards of the university and the kindness of students and faculty.

“Not only is the academic program of the earth and water science department very beneficial, but also the students and professors are very friendly and helpful,” she said.

Deeb is looking forward to returning to work in Lebanon and aspires to work with the United Nations.

Hospitality management doctorate candidate, Dawood Al Jahwari from Muscat, Oman, also enjoys USC because of the people’s kindness and the academic success he can achieve here. Jahwari also plans to return to his country to help develop the hospitality industry in Oman.

Roody Beauboeuf, Ebru Cayir, Vera Ziegler and Huyen Pham are all IIE Fulbright students pursing master’s degrees across a range of areas.

Roody Beauboeuf from Port-Au-Prince, Haiti, is a public health graduate student and is particularly interested in public health services, policy and management. He says he has learned a great deal since his arrival and hopes to work for the World Health Organization or United Nations Development Programme after graduating.

Turkey native Ebru Cayir is pursing a master’s in health promotion, education and behavior.

Vera Ziegler from Hamburg, Germany, is particularly impressed with South Carolina’s Southern hospitality and is working toward a master’s in international business.

“The Moore School of Business is very professional and has an exceptionally skilled faculty,” Ziegler said.

Huyen Pham from Hai Phong City, Vietnam, is a graduate student in the health services policy and management master’s program. Like the other students, Pham has a very good first impression of America and the South.

“I find that American people are very friendly and always will to help,” Pham said. “I really appreciate the help I have been given.”

International Student Services welcomes more than 410 new international students per year for a total of 1325 internationals on the Columbia campus.