Man arrested following August assault near Five Points

Police: Marine responsible for early morning attack on Wheat Street Read More

Police have arrested a man in connection with an August assault near Five Points.

Michael Blaszczyk, 22, was charged with second-degree assault and battery Monday after he turned himself to Columbia police, according to police spokeswoman Jennifer Timmons.

Police issued a warrant for Blaszczyk’s arrest last week, but it couldn’t be served until he came to Columbia from Camp Lejeune, a Marine Corps base in North Carolina, according to Timmons. Timmons wasn't sure how he got here or whether the military had extradited him.

Blaszczyk is currently being held at Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center and will appear in bond court Tuesday morning at 9 a.m., according to Timmons.

The arrest came three weeks after the assault, in which a 23-year-old man was approached in the early morning hours of Aug. 19.

The man was walking with his girlfriend up Wheat Street from Five Points when three white men yelled for his attention, according to an incident report.

The victim, who had been drinking, according to the report, turned around and reached out to shake one of the men's hand. That man grabbed his arm, took him to the ground and began punching him in the face, according to the report.

The victim's girlfriend jumped on the suspect's back, and he threw her off, according to the report. The other two men stood by and watched, she told police.

The victim was taken to the emergency room at Palmetto Baptist Hospital, where he was treated for bruising and swelling on his left eye and later released, according to a release.

Whether the two victims are USC students is not clear, Timmons said.

Update (6:10 p.m. Monday): Bond court appearance scheduled for 9 a.m. Tuesday.