Man arrested for indecent exposure near campus Monday afternoon

Police: Suspect was fondling himself in car on College Street Read More

Police arrested man near campus Monday afternoon after a witness saw him fondling himself in his car.

Rasheed Armahd Jones, 37, of Saluda River Road, was arrested in connection with the incident and is charged with indecent exposure.

Jones is being held in the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center and is scheduled to appear in bond court at 9 a.m. today.

According to an incident report, the witness, a 21-year-old woman, saw the man on College Street, between Assembly and Main, around 1:30 p.m. She called 911 immediately, according to a release.

"We want people to call right away," said Columbia police spokeswoman Jennifer Timmons. "She looked over and saw what was going on, and she obviously did the right thing by calling us."

When police arrived, they confronted the man, who told an officer "he was 'watching the girls' while masturbating," the report said.

The man was wearing a pair of athletic shorts with a hole cut out and had pornographic magazines and a jar of hair conditioner which he was using to masterbate, according to the report.

Jones "wrote a statement admitting to the conduct," the report said, and the witness identified him as the man she saw.

The incident comes less than a month after a man was arrested on USC's campus after he allegedly fondled himself in his car, which was parked on Bull Street, near Patterson Hall, a female-only residence hall.

It also happened only a few days after Columbia police chief Randy Scott told university administrators that officers would keep closer tabs on the campus's periphery, following concerns about highly publicized crimes and incidents just off campus.

Timmons said the police's response Monday wasn't affected by that agreement, since officers already patrol that area.

"That's considered part of our metro region, so we have officers filing through there often," Timmons said.