Gamecocks beat Wofford 24-7

USC trumps Wofford 24-7 with help from seniors

When it mattered most, two seniors provided the game-changing moment in South Carolina’s 24-7 win over Wofford.

Down 10-7 early in the fourth quarter, Wofford attempted to convert a fourth-and-1 at its 34-yard line. USC seniors Devin Taylor and Quin Smith stuffed Wofford fullback Eric Breitenstein for no gain to give the ball back to the Gamecock offense.

Five plays later, USC quarterback Connor Shaw found receiver Ace Sanders for an 8-yard touchdown pass that finally opened up the game.

It was the turning point en route to a USC win that allowed the Gamecocks to finish undefeated at home for the first time since 1987.

Prior to the play, Wofford had been 2-2 on fourth downs.

“We got in a bear defense and we blitzed the formation, so we stopped them,” USC defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward said. “We knew when they went for it on our end of the field in the third or fourth series that is was going to be a four-down series every time.”

“It felt good to finally get a turnover,” senior linebacker Shaq Wilson said.

Fittingly, the seniors playing their last game on Senior Day made the big plays against the Terriers.

Fifth-year senior Kenny Miles put the Gamecocks up 7-0 with a 2-yard touchdown run on the first play of the second quarter.

Then, with Wofford in USC territory later in the quarter, senior safety DJ Swearinger recovered a Terrier fumble, preserving the 7-0 lead.

Swearinger stopped Wofford again in the third quarter with the game tied at seven. The Terriers had driven 68 yards to the USC 27-yard line before Swearinger forced Wofford’s Octavious Harden to fumble.

On the Wofford drive after the Sanders touchdown, senior Akeem Auguste picked up a Breitenstein fumble and returned it 31 yards for a touchdown to give USC a 24-7 lead.

Finally, Swearinger made one last play at home near the end of the game. Down by 17, Wofford quarterback James Lawson found receiver Jeff Ashley wide open over the middle, but Swearinger ran Ashley down at the 7-yard line to preserve the 24-7 win.

“I wanted to get a forced fumble today — haven’t gotten one of those all year, so I think I had a productive day,” Swearinger said. “I went out with a bang in my last home game.”

Ward said he is thankful for the years he has gotten to spend with this group of seniors.

“We’ve got a great group of young men that we have been blessed to have to be a part of this South Carolina team,” Ward said. “The senior leadership that we have had all season has been tremendous. We’re really proud of this group, proud to win seven home games. I think they are going to go down as one of the best groups that have ever played at South Carolina, and I believe that title is well deserved.”

For some seniors, like Auguste, the emotions didn’t hit until after the game.

“It didn’t hit me until I went over to the student section and realizing that this is going to be the last student section I see that’s going to be cheering for me,” Auguste said. “It’s been a blessing to be out here for these few years I’ve been at South Carolina, and I enjoyed every minute of it.”

Spurrier ties coaching record: With the victory Saturday, coach Steve Spurrier notched his 64th career victory at USC, tying Rex Enright for the most in school history. However, Spurrier is not a fan of ties.

“I haven’t thought about this one too much. The next one will be a little bigger,” Spurrier said. “Ties are whatever, but the next one will be a little bit more special.”