In Brief: February 22, 2013

Poll: Attitudes optimistic toward SC economy

South Carolinians’ optimism toward the state’s economy is rising, according to the latest Winthrop Poll.

More than half the poll’s respondents said they felt South Carolina’s economy is very or fairly good (51 percent), and even more said it is getting better (52.1 percent), according to The State.

Jobs and unemployment were rated by respondents as the most important problem facing South Carolina (24.2 percent), followed by the economy (14 percent), education (12.8 percent) and politicians and government (6.5 percent).

“(Gov.) Nikki Haley’s strategy of calling herself the ‘jobs governor’ and showing up every time there is a new company is the right one,” Winthrop professor and poll manager Scott Huffmon told The State. “That’s the issue people say they are concerned with.”

According to The State, results of the Winthrop Poll include:

— 51 percent say the state’s economy is very or fairly good, versus 44.5 percent who say it is fairly or very bad.

— 52.1 percent say the state’s economy is getting better, versus 33.1 percent who say it is getting worse.

— 49.8 percent say their financial situation is excellent or good, versus 13.9 percent who say it is poor and 34.3 percent who say it is fair.

— 52 percent say their financial situation is getting better, versus 32.2 percent who say it is getting worse.

More than 1,000 people in the state took part in the survey, conducted Feb. 9 through Feb. 17, which has an approximately 3.1 percent margin of error. 

— Sarah Ellis, Assistant News Editor

State beach included on national tourism list

South Carolina is home to one of the top 25 beaches in the country, according to the new Travelers’ Choice list compiled by TripAdvisor.

Hunting Island State Park near Beaufort was ranked the 14th best beach in America based on reviews by TripAdvisor users.

“The miles of untouched, natural beaches and variety of animals and vegetation are what make our area so special to tourists and locals alike,” said Robb Wells, tourism division executive at the Beaufort Regional Chamber of Commerce, in a press release, according to The (Hilton Head) Island Packet.

The 5,000-acre park features 3 miles of natural beach and welcomes more than a million visitors each year, according to HuntingIsland.com. The island’s historic Hunting Island Lighthouse, built in 1859, is the only publicly accessible lighthouse in the state.

Hunting Island was also the site of some of the Vietnam War scenes shot in the 1993 film Forrest Gump.

The 2013 Travelers’ Choice list is topped by Ka’anapali Beach in Lahaina, Hawaii, followed by three Florida beaches. Hunting Island State Park is the only beach in either of the Carolinas to make the list.

— Sarah Ellis, Assistant News Editor

Wilson failed to report campaign donations

A week after suggesting a state investigation into South Carolina House Speaker Bobby Harrell for — among other issues — campaign spending violations, the tables have turned on state Attorney General Alan Wilson.

Wilson now faces scrutiny after failing to report at least a dozen campaign contributions that should have been disclosed, including a $3,500 donation from Harrell, according to Free Times.

In particular question is a Jan. 2011 inauguration party paid for by the “Alan Wilson for Attorney General” campaign account. The event solicited donations of $100 per individual and $150 per couple to attend and also had tiered sponsorships for $10,000 and $5,000, Free Times reported. 

But campaigns for statewide offices cannot receive donations of more than $3,500 per individual donor.

Wilson’s campaign chairman, Thad Westbrook, told Free Times that the “high-dollar sponsorships were split among individual donors” and did not violate the maximum contribution limit, but a number of the inaugural gala donations were not reported in Wilson’s campaign disclosure reports, Free Times said.

Harrell’s donation to Wilson’s campaign was taken from Harrell’s own campaign account and was never documented in Wilson’s campaign finance reports. State law prohibits campaign-to-campaign contributions, according to State Ethics Commission general counsel Cathy Hazelwood.

Westbrook told Free Times the missing donation reports were the cause of clerical error and the campaign would amend its disclosure reports.

— Sarah Ellis, Assistant News Editor