Crime Blotter for April 5-12

The blotter comes from police reports released by the USC Division of Law Enforcement
and Safety and doesn’t include crimes reported by city or county law enforcement.

— An officer was dispatched to the headquarters of USC’s Division of Law Enforcement and Safety in response to a report of harassment. A student said that his ex-girlfriend, also a USC student, had been texting and calling him and his current girlfriend making “harassing statements” and sexual remarks, trying to break the couple up. He said that she had been doing this for at least 10 months and it was “revenge on him for not being with her.” Police advised the man to take screen shots of any further harassment.

— An officer responded to Bates House early Wednesday morning in response to a possible assault on the Bates Bridge. The victim had no visible injuries, appeared disoriented and had trouble answering questions. He told police that he was approached by two black men, two white men and one Hispanic man on the bridge around 3 a.m. He said the men punched him and kicked him several times in the head. He was unable to provide further descriptions of the men and said that they didn’t steal anything from him. The victim was evaluated by paramedics and transported to Palmetto Health Richland for further treatment.

Bates House Crime of the Week: An officer responded to a fight between two roommates in Bates House early on the morning of April 7. The resident who allegedly started the fight was awakened by his roommate, who wanted to bring a woman into the room and have the first roommate leave. The first roommate objected, saying he wanted to sleep. He briefly left the room and, upon returning, found that his roommate had brought the woman in and locked the door. After 45 minutes, the resident heard his roommate leave the room. He then went back into the room and locked the door. When the second roommate returned and found the door locked, he became angry and began beating on the door. The first roommate then opened the door, and both men began shouting and pushing each other before a resident mentor intervened. Both men opted not to press charges and spent the night in their room.

Briefs don’t include every incident from the last two weeks, and suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty. Information could change as investigations continue.