Greene goes green again

Shedding a little light on an otherwise rainy day, the vendors of the Healthy Carolina Farmers Market rolled out their fresh produce on Greene Street on Tuesday.

The market, a part of Healthy Carolina, aims to offer students an opportunity to find fresh and locally grown produce at an affordable price. Marking the second farmers market of the semester, Mandy Feeks, a graduate student, is hopeful for the rest of the semester and the market’s growth.

“It’s an affordable way for students to eat healthy,” Feeks said. “I would highly recommend students to come out.”

Last year, the market was named one of the 10 “most impressive college farmers markets” in the country by Mother Nature Network. The farmers market even includes products not always found in a local grocery store.

“We recently got a vendor back that sells goat cheese. I heard it’s a favorite of students,” Feeks said.
“We also feature an organic farm that sells interesting things and a vendor that sells fresh squeezed fruit and vegetable juice.”

The farmers market will sometimes feature other vendors that offer students campus information. Sustainable Carolina and Campus Recreation had a presence at the market with flyers and freebies.

And if students don’t have cash, they can opt for free samples, such as hot chocolate and dishes from first lady Patricia Moore-Pastides’ cookbook.

“The first lady’s table often comes out and provides recipes from her recipe book,” Feeks said. “She loves to give out free samples and things for students.”

The farmers market will run every Tuesday until April 22 and is a partnership between Healthy Carolina, Student Government, Parking Services and the state Department of Agriculture.