Movies and albums to anticipate: August and September 2019

As the new semester approaches, so do the back-to-school jitters that we are all too familiar with. But don't despair, because directors and musicians alike have the perfect solution to take our minds off all that stress — new movies and albums to look forward to.

So, instead of worrying about making new friends, paying rent, ordering textbooks or anything boring like that, start Instagram stalking Taylor Swift for hints about her upcoming album or furiously Googling "It Chapter Two presale tickets."

Films to be released in August and September

“47 Meters Down: Uncaged’ (directed by Johannes Roberts) — August 16, 2019 — Summer would not feel complete without a shark-themed movie to tide us over. The sequel to the 2017 summer flick "47 Meters Down" introduces a group of teens exploring underwater ancient ruins when they realize that they are not alone. A fearsome shark is determined to not let these kids get away — at least not without a fight. This modern-day “Jaws” film is the perfect way to accept fall's coming, as you'll probably welcome a break from the beach after this thriller.

“The Goldfinch” (directed by John Crowley) — September 13, 2019 — Based on a Pulitzer Prize-winning novel of the same name, "The Goldfinch” begins with thirteen-year-old Theodore Decker, who witnesses a tragic event that takes his mother’s life. The story follows how Theodore’s life is impacted afterwards, and how he battles grief in different ways. The film’s notable cast includes Nicole Kidman, Ansel Elgort, Sarah Paulson, Finn Wolfhard and more.

“It Chapter Two” (directed by Andy Muschietti) — September 5, 2019 — The long-awaited sequel has finally arrived, along with Pennywise himself. The ragtag group of kids known as the Losers Club have returned to Derry, where they are met with a not-so-warm welcome from the demon who tormented them when they were younger. Bill Skarsgård reprised his role as It, but the characters we knew as kids have grown up by the time this movie takes place, meaning the rest of the cast is totally revamped. Notable names assume the familiar roles, with Jessica Chastain as Beverly, James McAvoy as Bill and Bill Hader as Richie.

Albums to be released in August/September:

“Lover” (recorded by Taylor Swift under Republic Records) — August 23, 2019 — Taylor Swift fans were surprised by the sudden release of “ME!” back in April, but she's not done with surprises yet: This highly anticipated album is set to release the day after classes start, so you can be sure to have something to blast while you adjust to Columbia traffic.

“i,i” (recorded by Bon Iver under Jagjaguwar) — August 30, 2019 — Bon Iver's fourth album will reportedly be autumn-themed, completing the band's four seasons album series. We'll be listening to it right on the cusp of fall, so it should make those breezy walks across campus that much more magical. According to their website, the band members feel “confident, comfortable, and completely free of distraction” with regard to the album's recording, so cross your fingers for another indie masterpiece from this consistently striking band.

“The Owl” (recorded by Zac Brown Band under BMG Rights Management) — September 20, 2019 — Zac Brown Band has never failed to remind someone that he or she would like to dip his or her toes in the water — especially a bunch of college dudes tailgating in the hot summer sun. This album is guaranteed to bring us another round of Southern fried jams perfect for cracking open a cold one with the boys (provided, of course, that you're of age). The band is currently on tour to support the album’s release.