International students share culture at International Festival

International students brought awareness to their cultures at the International Festival Friday, which featured displays from countries including Vietnam, Taiwan, Japan, Chile and China. 

At the festival, students on Greene Street enjoyed cultural dancing, food and music. Several international Chinese students carried a Chinese dragon through the crowd. 

The event is part of International Education Week at USC, which celebrates cultures around the world. The university collaborates with the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education to organize an initiative to promote internationalization in the USC community. 

Many international students at the festival said they believe the festival is a great way to promote awareness about their culture and diminish ignorance. 

“I think that Americans don’t know a lot of other countries and cultures. I think this is a good way to connect to Americans and international students," said Chunsheng Jin, a member of the International Student Organization.

Jeon Sojeong, an Enlish Program for Internationals student from South Korea, loves the International Festival for its diverse menu. Students enjoyed baklava, a creamy sweet pastry dessert from the Middle East, hotteok, a filled Korean pancake, and candies from China.

Though there are many differences between America and other countries, many international students said they feel welcome on campus. 

“Schools in Saudi Arabia are like school for girls and school for boys, not like here, you know,” said Shahd Hasanain, a graduate biomedical engineering student from Saudi Arabia.

USC has held the International Festival for several years now and has become a popular event during International Education Week.