Speaker of the senate candidate JD Jacobus resigns from honor society after ‘offensive’ remarks

JD Jacobus, who is running uncontested for speaker of the student senate, resigned from the Chi Circle chapter of Omicron Delta Kappa (ODK), a leadership honor society, after his remarks at a Feb. 4 meeting.

Colin Hungerpiller, president of ODK, said Jacobus “resigned of his own free will.”

Almeera Lateef, who is the vice president of membership for ODK and a fourth-year biochemistry student, said Jacobus “said something that offended some members in the room, and he was asked to apologize, and he did.”

“ODK prides itself on inclusivity and diversity and so he decided to resign from the organization after some discussion with our advisors,” Lateef said.

Every semester, ODK votes on new members using a slideshow. Each slide has a candidate's experiences, but there is not a name or photo attached. Jacobus said photos should be a part of the potential member slides after not knowing what the organization SAVVY was. SAVVY is a multicultural women's group on campus.

Lateef said action would have been taken if Jacobus had not resigned.

In an email sent to ODK members the night after the meeting, ODK said, “Comments like these will not be tolerated. Omicron Delta Kappa strives to be an inclusive society where all members feel comfortable and welcomed.”

Jacobus is currently in Student Government as chairman of the powers and responsibilities committee. According to Hungerpiller, Jacobus is still a member of ODK nationally.

Jacobus was contacted multiple times by phone on Feb. 24 and has yet to comment.

Student Government elections open at 9 a.m. Tuesday and close at 5 p.m. Wednesday. Students can vote at http://www.sc.edu/elections

—Kailey Cota contributed to the reporting on this article

Updated on Feb. 25 at 1:25 p.m.