USC COVID-19 update: Active cases at new low of 33, testing down from last week

There are now 33 active cases of the coronavirus at USC, according to the latest update of the COVID-19 dashboard.

This is the third week straight where COVID-19 cases have fallen at the university. 

From Sept. 25 to Sept. 29, the most recent reporting period, 851 students and university employees were tested. This is lower than the 1,603 people tested from Sept. 22 to Sept. 24. The saliva testing schedule for both students and employees can be found on the university's COVID-19 webpage.

Free pop-up testing is also available at Founders Park and Martin Luther King Jr. Park until Oct. 3. Students can register for that testing here.

Those with symptoms should make an appointment for a nasal swab test through MyHealthSpace.

The total percent positive rate for the past four days is 1.34%, which is up from the previously reported 0.75%.

A total of 2,354 students and university employees have recovered from the coronavirus since Aug. 1.

Quarantine/isolation housing has 98.43% of its total capacity available. This means 13 out of a total 828 rooms are currently in use. Quarantine/isolation housing is located in Bates West, the National Advocacy Center, SpringHill Suites and the Holiday Inn Express on Washington Street.

The alert level remains at the lowest level, called “new normal.” The alert level is calculated using 11 factors, including testing, on-campus case burden and quarantine/isolation capacity.  

The COVID-19 dashboard will be updated every Tuesday and Friday.