Ten new members elected to South Carolina Athletics Hall of Fame

<p>Connor Shaw, the starting quarterback from 2010 to 2013, carrying the ball down the field. Shaw is the winningest quarterback in school history and is one of the 10 new members being added to the South Carolina Athletics Hall of Fame in October.</p>
Connor Shaw, the starting quarterback from 2010 to 2013, carrying the ball down the field. Shaw is the winningest quarterback in school history and is one of the 10 new members being added to the South Carolina Athletics Hall of Fame in October.

South Carolina will be adding 10 new members to its Athletics Hall of Fame this fall.

New members include John Abraham, Mike Durrah and Connor Shaw from football, Michael Roth from baseball, Scotti Ward from men's basketball, Brantley Southers and head coach Nancy Wilson from women's basketball, Ron Willis from track & field, volleyball coach Kim Hudson Williams and Athletics Director Dr. Mike McGee. 

These individuals will be inducted into the Hall of Fame on Thursday, Oct. 14, and recognized during the South Carolina-Vanderbilt football game on Saturday, Oct. 16. More information about the induction ceremony, including ticket information, will be announced at a later date.

John Abraham - Football (1996-99)

Despite playing one season of high school football, Abraham became a star on defense for the Gamecocks. In each of his four seasons, he led the team in sacks, finishing with 23.5 for his college career. He went on to play 15 seasons in the NFL, earning first-team All-Pro honors twice and appeared in five Pro Bowls. 

Mike Durrah - Football (1980-83)

As a linebacker for South Carolina, Durrah recorded 396 tackles, which ranks third on the school's all-time list. After making a school-record 179 tackles in his senior year, he was named to the All-South Independent team. 

Connor Shaw - Football (2010-13)

As a three-year starting quarterback, Shaw threw for 6,074 yards with 56 touchdowns as the leader of the South Carolina offense in the early 2010s. He is the winningest quarterback in school history with a 27-5 record and went a perfect 17-0 at Williams-Brice Stadium.

"I carry an extreme level of loyalty and passion for the University of South Carolina and this football program because of all the work, the sacrifice and the success that I share with all my teammates," Shaw said. "This induction will truly be one of the highest honors I'll ever receive in my life."

Michael Roth - Baseball (2009-12)

Playing a key role in South Carolina’s run to back-to-back College World Series championships in 2010 and 2011,  Roth posted a 26-6 record in four seasons and was named a first-team All-American in 2011. 

"Being with my family and being able to sit back and look back on my playing career at Carolina, and soaking that up with my wife and the rest of my family," Roth said when asked what he will enjoy most on induction day. 

Scotti Ward - Men's Basketball (1960-63)

As the team's starting point guard, Ward averaged 14.3 points per game. In his senior season, he led the team in scoring with 17.6 points per game. At the free-throw line, he connected on 83.6% of his attempts, third all-time in program history. 

Brantley Southers - Women's Basketball (1981-86)

A three-time All-American, Southers scored 1,982 points, which is fourth on the school's all-time list. She is a three-time first-team All-Metro Conference selection, was the Metro Tournament's Outstanding Player in 1986 and made the conference All-Tournament team three times. 

Nancy Wilson - Women's Basketball (1985-97)

Wilson was a two-time Metro Conference Coach of the Year, leading South Carolina to six regular-season conference titles and three conference tournament championships. Until last season, she was the school's all-time winningest coach with 219 victories. 

Ron Willis - Track & Field (1990-94)

Willis had a very successful career as a Gamecock, winning multiple SEC titles and became the first Gamecock to win an individual NCAA title in a field event. He was a three-time All-American and served as team captain in his final two seasons.  

Kim (Hudson) Williams - Volleyball (1993-2004)

As the head volleyball coach, Williams helped turn around the South Carolina volleyball program, winning a school-record 236 matches. She led her team to the NCAA Tournament six times and posted a .630 winning percentage. In 1997, she was named the SEC Coach of the Year.

"It's been an interesting journey after the announcement to reflect back with my husband on what those years were like and the people that were involved at the time," Williams said. "People trusted us that what we were saying, the vision that we were casting was going to be real and they could be a part of making history."

Dr. Mike McGee - Athletics Director (1993-2005)

McGee was responsible for hiring coaches Ray Tanner, Lou Holtz and Steve Spurrier. In 2016, he received the Homer Rice Award, given to an athletics director who made a significant impact on intercollegiate athletics.