6th-year tight end Chad Terrell tears ACL, will miss entire season

FILE — Sixth year tight end Chad Terrell scores a touchdown for the Black team during the Garnet and Black Spring Game at Williams-Brice Stadium on April 16, 2022.

Sixth-year tight end Chad Terrell is out for the season after suffering a torn ACL, South Carolina head football coach Shane Beamer confirmed in a press conference Tuesday.  

This is the third time in Terrell's career that he has torn an ACL. He tore the ACL in his left knee during spring camp his sophomore year, sidelining him for all but four games. Terrell tore the ACL in his right leg during his redshirt junior season. Last season he appeared in four games. 

Despite not being able to play this fall, Beamer said Terrell still has a role on the team moving forward. 

“Certainly hate it for him but have so much respect for Chad and the way that he’s battled,” Beamer said. “We talked about it in front of the team — the respect that we have for him, and the impact that he can have going forward, the fighter that he is, and all that as well, so he’s still heavily involved with our team.”

Terrell recorded seven receptions for 76 yards in 27 games throughout his time at South Carolina. He also played on special teams. 

Terrell transitioned to tight end this season after playing as a wide receiver in previous years.

Terrell recorded four catches for 49 yards and a touchdown in his debut at tight end during the last game he played, the 2022 spring game.