UofSC out, USC back in: University announces return to original brand

The University of South Carolina has utilized the "UofSC" spirit mask since 2019. That spirit mask will change to "USC" at the start of the new year.

The university will return to its original USC branding after adding "of" to its acronym as a marketing strategy in 2019

The new brand, announced in a Wednesday press release, will take full effect on Jan. 4, 2023, as signs are replaced for required maintenance. 

University President Michael Amiridis said this change was made to help better reflect the university's "iconic" brand. 

“In my short time back at the university, alumni and other stakeholders have told me how important it is to return the USC name back to the institution," Amiridis said. "We are initiating that change today." 

The university will now be referred to as the University of South Carolina, USC, South Carolina or Carolina in all official materials, according to university spokesperson Jeff Stensland.

<p>The university's spirit mask will change to "USC" at the start of the new year. With this change comes an entire new look for the university's website, merchandise and branding all around.&nbsp;</p>
The university's spirit mask will change to "USC" at the start of the new year. With this change comes an entire new look for the university's website, merchandise and branding all around. 

A new block-letter logo is also being introduced to the university's branding, but other graphics such as the tree-and-gates on the university's official academic logo and the "Block C" on the athletics logo will remain the same. 

Stensland said the new block-letter spirit mark will include the year of the university's founding, 1801, and "provide versatility in promoting the university in non-academic settings."

Board of trustees chairman Thad Westbrook said the decision is strongly supported by the board. 

"Our alumni and stakeholders have overwhelmingly stated their strong desire to return to the USC name and the USC tradition," Westbrook said. "We are excited about this change."