USC student 1st to graduate with new digital studies certificate, 3 more certificates announced

A information science student will be the first to graduate with a digital studies certificate after the university launched a new interdisciplinary program this fall.

Bella Pham, a fourth-year student, is graduating with the university's digital studies certificate, a interdisciplinary certificate with an emphasis in computer and information science. 

Students can receive a digital studies certificate by taking four out of over 35 possible classes specializing in enhancing digital thinking and abilities. The certificate is separate from students' diplomas and is meant to better prepare students for their chosen field.

The university's Graduation and Retention Network intends to introduce three more certificate options in spring 2024 in subjects including data analytics and visualization, project management and leadership, and strategic thinking and communications.

Pham said she was unsure if she could add the digital studies certificate to her degree, as she was already a senior when the certificate was made available.  Pham said she was surprised to learn she would not need to add an extra semester or year to complete the certificate. 

"I thought I couldn't add the certificate to my major, but because it's interdiscipline with my major courses, so at that time, I already have got three out of four for the course that require for that certificate,” Pham said.

Helen Le is the advisor for the digital studies certificate and works to help students interested in completing the certificate.

“We actually have many seniors that already had the classes. And it just worked that once we launched the certificate program, they realized that they already qualified and were able to add it,” Le said.

While Pham was able to combine her required classes for information science to achieve the certificate, students in other majors are able to add it onto their current course load. Most of the courses share similarities with the applied computing minor, but the certificate requires only 12 credit hours compared to a minor's 18 required credit hours. 

“It's a good fit for not only aspiring web designers or videographers or digital technologists, but also for other fields in communications, media arts, government — anything really," Le said.

Introduction to computer concepts professor Natasha Delahunt said the certificate can also aid students' ability to find jobs following their graduation.

“The whole world is touched by technology now. You can't escape it. I cannot think of a major or career field that technology isn't involved in some way, shape or form. Even on a most basic level, you're using some kind of technology. And that's not going away,” Delahunt said.

In the general applications programming course, a class that applies to the digital studies certificate, students learn several technological skills regardless of their previous experience or major, computer science instructor Catherine Matthews said

“It exposes you to a lot of different computer applications, different software, a little bit of programming. And so that when you're older and graduated and have a job, and your boss comes in and says, ‘We're using this new software here,' and expects you to learn it, you're not intimidated,” Matthews said

Delahunt said the program can be beneficial addition to many student's course load.

“They get upset when they have to take some of these general education courses, but you're still expanding your general education while you're majoring in something and learning something. So these certificates allow you to do a little bit of focus, not a hard focus," Delahunt said. "I think it just enhances your degree.” 

Any student interested in pursuing a certificate can do so by completing an interest form online and speaking with their academic advisor