Fire in Russell House bathroom forces evacuation

<p>A Columbia Fire Department engine sits on Greene Street in front of Russell House on the University of South Carolina campus on Nov. 30, 2023. The department responded to a fire alarm in the building just before 3 p.m.</p>
A Columbia Fire Department engine sits on Greene Street in front of Russell House on the University of South Carolina campus on Nov. 30, 2023. The department responded to a fire alarm in the building just before 3 p.m.

A fire in a Russell House bathroom sounded alarms for about 30 minutes around 3 p.m. Thursday. 

Students and staff had to evacuate the building, disrupting business in Russell House during the incident. 

The fire was contained to the bathroom and resulted in no injuries Columbia-Richland Fire Department Public Information Officer Mike DeSumma said.

USC's Fire Marshal's Office and USCPD are looking into what caused the fire, DeSumma said. 

A student video showed what appeared to be a restroom paper towel container on fire. 

Two fire trucks and police arrived to the student union to put out the flames. 

"I just wanted people back in okay to enjoy the Russell House. That's my goal safe, open and ready to go every day," Director of Russell House University Union Kim McMahon said.

McMahon said she didn't have any details about the origin of the fire. 

Carolina Food Co. announced on it's Instagram that GrubHub orders were shut down due to the evacuation. The post said it hoped to reopen ordering by 5 p.m. 

Editor's note: This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.