In Brief: April 25, 2013

Student, bus driver, arrested, fired after fight

A school bus scuffle left a student charged with assault and a bus driver fired, WIS reported.
After an “early morning incident” at Crestwood High School March 1, Jasmine Robinson, 17, was charged with simple assault. A Sumter School District investigation of the incident resulted in Delores Rainwater, 61, being fired.
A sheriff’s department report said that Rainwater “started in on” Robinson after she moved a coat from a seat on the bus. Rainwater allegedly told Robinson she’d “bust [Robinson’s] butt” if she was her child.
Robinson then threatened to slap Rainwater, the report said.
Robinson said Rainwater looked at her and smiled at her in the mirror during the bus ride. When the bus got to the school, Robinson punched Rainwater and the fight began, the report said.

Virginia man charged in White Knoll bomb threat

A Virginia man has been arrested after a bomb threat was called into Lexington’s White Knoll High School Monday.
Tyler Hering, 20, of Bristow, Va. was arrested after detectives in Lexington and Loudon County, Va. developed information leading them to believe Hering called the bomb threat in and provided that information to the Prince William County Police Department, as Hering is a resident of Prince William County.
Hering was arrested by that department for communicating a threat to bomb a place of assembly or building, a Virginia state felony.
Because he allegedly sent the threat in from Virginia, Hering will not face any charges in Lexington. He does not have any established ties to White Knoll High School, Lexington or South Carolina. He appears to have chosen the school randomly, Lexington County Sheriff James Metts told WIS.

Sanford debates Pelosi poster on Charleston street

Former South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford “debated” with a poster of House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi on a downtown Charleston street Wednesday morning, WCSC reports.
The Republican nominee for South Carolina’s first congressional district said that the “debate” resulted from failed attempts to engage his opponent, Democratic candidate Elizabeth Colbert Busch, in a debate.
Sanford said he chose Pelosi because she and other high-profile Democrats have contributed nearly $1 million to Colbert Busch’s campaign.
Sanford and Colbert Busch will meet in their first debate on April 29 at The Citadel.
Sanford recently lost the backing of the National Republican Congressional Committee, while Colbert Busch launched Republicans for Elizabeth Colbert Busch on Wednesday.