Crime Blotter for June 14 to June 21

— An officer was driving on Bluff Road early June 15 when a black BMW passed him without dimming its high beams. The officer then followed the car and turned on his lights, but the car did not stop for several blocks. Once stopped, the officer had to tell the driver multiple times to take his foot off the brakes and put the car in park. The driver would not answer the officer’s questions and tried to keep his passenger from answering the officer’s questions as well. The officer decided to question the two separately and when the driver would not get out of the car, the officer removed him from the car and “escorted him to the ground.” Once he got off the ground, the driver told the officer he had drunk a pitcher of beer at the Village Idiot and proceeded to fail a sobriety test. He was arrested for driving under the influence. While waiting for another officer to transport him to Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center, the driver needed to be repeatedly be restrained and was verbally abusive towards the officer.

—An officer was driving on Pickens Street late June 19 when he saw a black Ford Mustang make a left turn in a right turn only lane. The car then ran a red light and ran its tires over a median. The officer pulled the car over and immediately smelled alcohol and marijuana. The driver’s eyes were bloodshot and the officer requested him to perform a field sobriety test, which he failed, although he blew a 0.00 breath alcohol test. Officers also found prescription pills in the car for which the driver did not have a prescription. The driver was arrested for driving under the influence.

—Vending Machine Crimes of the Week: Two vending machines were the subject of vandalism reported within 24 hours of each other. The first, reported June 18, had damage around the bill collector and crowbar marks on the right side. Computer pieces and a crowbar were found in front of the machine. The second had its bill collector removed and stolen. The damage to the second machine was estimated at $700. Damage worth of the first was not estimated.

— Amanda Coyne, Editor-in-Chief