In Brief for June 19th, 2013

‘Busted Plug’ statue to move to Finlay Park

Columbia City Council voted 4-1 move the “Busted Plug” — more commonly know as “that giant fire hydrant” in the Vista — to the corner of Taylor and Gadsden streets near Finlay Park, The State reported.

Councilman Moe Baddourah voted no to the move and Councilwomen Tameika Isaac Devine and Leona Plaugh were not present for the vote.
A consultant from W.P. Law Inc. presented a design that would make the statue the center of a tiered plaza with walkways and landscaping in the park, but the council did not vote on whether to build that design. A vote is predicted in a later meeting.

The artist who built “Busted Plug” wanted it to be moved to the top of the park, at Assembly and Laurel streets, but the council did not agree.

The statue was donated to the city by a local bank that commissioned the sculpture years ago, but sold the property where the statue now stands.

— Amanda Coyne, Editor-in-Chief

Man beaten with own prosthetic leg

In Myrtle Beach a 43-year old man was beat with his own prosthetic leg after being pushed off his moped by his attacker on Sunday evening, the State reported.

Thirty-five-year-old resident, Joel Parrish was taken into custody the following morning and charged with second-degree assault and battery.

Parrish is being held at the Myrtle Beach Jail until his bond hearing.

Victim stated that his prosthetic leg came off after being pushed by Parrish. He fell to the ground and was then kicked and punched several times until the suspect picked up the prosthetic leg and began to hit him with it. Victim stated that there was a second man who held him down during the assault.

The victim suffered injuries to the head and received several stitches at the Grand Strand Regional Medical Center.

—Priyanka Juneja, News Editor

USC student places in Miss USA finals

Megan Pinckney, Miss South Carolina USA and a fourth-year retailing student at USC, was named fifth runner-up at the Miss USA pageant in Las Vegas Sunday night.

Pinckney originally placed in the top five contestants, but a Twitter vote added a sixth contestant into the final round. That contestant, Miss Texas USA Ali Nugent, ended up placing ahead of Pinckney and was named fourth runner-up.

Pinckney told The State she didn’t properly hear her final question, which was about whether people who leaked classified government documents should be charged with treason.

Miss Connecticut USA Erin Brady was crowned Miss USA.

This is the second final round finish for a South Carolina beauty queen in a national pageant. Miss South Carolina Ali Rogers was first runner-up in January’s Miss America pageant.

— Amanda Coyne, Editor-in-Chief