In Brief: August 27, 2013

Florence plastic plant fire draws over 60 firefighters

A old plastics plant in Florence that caught fire Sunday night was still burning Monday morning, The Associated Press reported.

More than 60 firefighters from all 11 fire departments in Florence County were on hand to combat the massive blaze at the old DuPont plant, which is currently used as a warehouse near the Great Pee Dee River.

The nearest hydrants are at least half a mile away, and the building’s sprinkler system was turned off, making it difficult for firefighters to get water into the fire.

Windy Hill Fire Chief John Delung estimated it was the biggest fire in the county in two decades, and the only fire he can remember that warranted every department in the county on the scene, according to AP.

The cause of the fire is unknown, and no injuries had been reported.

Haley’s 2014 re-election bid for govenor official

Gov. Nikki Haley formally announced her bid for 2014 re-election Monday.

She’s expected to challenge Democratic State Sen. Vincent Sheheen in a rematch of the closely contested 2010 race for the governor’s mansion.

“If you think what we did in the first 2 1/2 years was great, wait until you see what we do next,” Haley told a crowd of several hundred supporters in downtown Greenville Monday, The State reported.

She touted her rejection of Obamacare job creation in her first term, according to The State.

At the age of 41, Haley is the nation’s youngest state leader and the state’s first female governor.

In the 2010 election, she edged out Sheheen by 4.5 percentage points.

Arrests made in suspected Chapin shoplifting ring

Four people have been arrested and accused of participating in a Chapin shoplifting ring, The State reported.

Charges against Antwone Anderson, Isaac Potter, Donnie Furtick and Carmella Harding include various counts of grand larceny, shoplifting and criminal conspiracy. They are accused of stealing energy drinks, cigarettes and cell phones from local stores.

Police say the suspects took seven cell phones worth $2,800 from a Verizon store in Chapin last month. They are also accused of taking $1,875 in cigarettes and $420 worth of 5 Hour Energy drinks from two stores this month.

Some of the stolen items were recovered when Irmo police arrested the suspects, according to The State.