Trustees discuss on track building projects

The board of trustees’ buildings and grounds committee met Friday and gave updates on the three major ongoing projects on campus.

Darla Moore School of Business

The new Moore School is currently between 60 and 70 percent complete and is on track to open on time in May 2014. Its planned opening date was pushed back to May 2014 at July’s meeting of the board of trustees.

The building, which is between the Koger Center for the Arts and the Carolina Coliseum on Assembly Street, is on track for LEED platinum certification. That is the highest energy efficiency rating possible for a building.

Assembly Street Pedestrian Safety Project

The Assembly Street project is on track for completion by Dec. 3, the originally scheduled finish date. It was intended to complete construction at the same time as the new Moore School, but its timeline did not need to be adjusted when the Moore School’s was.

Women’s Quad renovation

McClintock, Sims and Wade Hampton — the three all-female residence halls that make up the Women’s Quad — have been undergoing construction since May. The buildings have been “gutted,” according to Derek Gruner, director of facilities planning and programming. Now, work is focusing on electrical and plumbing updates. The construction is set to be complete by fall 2014, in time for new students to occupy the buildings.