Fewer fans arrested, ejected at USC vs. Kentucky game

Student ticket no-shows can now appeal

Ejections, arrests and student no-shows all declined for the second consecutive home game Saturday night.

In total, 90 people — both students and others — were ejected, and nine were arrested at Saturday’s game against Kentucky. That is down from 125 ejections and 15 arrests at the Vanderbilt game.

The majority of charges Saturday were for being in the student section without a wristband, attempting to bring alcohol into the stadium and disorderly conduct, according to Cpl. Vinny Bocchino of USC’s Division of Law Enforcement and Safety.

No-shows dropped by more than 100. There were 674 students who failed to scan their tickets for the Kentucky game, compared to 786 against Vanderbilt, according to Director of Student Services Anna Edwards.

Students who did not show up and will have their tickets revoked for the season now have a chance to appeal, Edwards said.

Those students received emails Tuesday with a link to an appeal form that is due Friday. Once students submit that form, they will have the opportunity to meet with an Office of Student Life staff member to discuss why they did not show up to the game.

Students who were ejected have the opportunity to have one of these meetings as well, but there is no appeal process, Edwards said. These meetings will serve as an “opportunity to discuss and clarify,” she said.

A large number of students stayed at the stadium late in the game, in stark contrast to the student section at the Vanderbilt game, where many students were gone by the third quarter.

Many students cited vouchers for an extra loyalty point and $1 bottled drinks in the fourth quarter — incentives implemented by Student Government and the Athletics Department — as reasons they stayed late. Others said they stayed later because their parents were also at the game for Parents’ Weekend.

Students who stayed until the end of the game received vouchers for an extra loyalty point after the alma mater was played Saturday night. They redeemed those vouchers Monday and Tuesday in the Golden Spur Game Room.