In Brief: Oct. 7, 2013

SC State Fair launches mobile app for visitors

The South Carolina State Fair has launched a mobile app for this year’s visitors, The State reported.

The “Find Your Happy” app will offer digital maps, a schedule of events, an entertainment lineup, menus and various other features. It has already been downloaded by more than 1,000 people since its Sept. 12 launch, and fair officials expect that number to grow once the event opens on Oct. 9.

The app was created after many fairgoers requested an easier way to get information on fair activities in one simple, accessible location. It is available in the App Store for iOS and on Google Play for Android phones.

Tickets for the fair can be bought in advance until Tuesday. Admission is $7 in advance and $10 at the gates, while ride vouchers are $23 in advance and $28 at the gates.

‘Myrtle Manor’ cast member arrested Sunday

A “Welcome to Myrtle Manor” cast member has been charged with fighting at Myrtle Beach’s Broadway at the Beach, the (Myrtle Beach) Sun-News reported.

Taylor Jonathan Burt, 28, was arrested Sunday on charges of disorderly conduct and “fighting/force company on another.” The arrest comes after another in April for criminal sexual conduct with a minor. In that case, Burt has been charged with having sexual relations with a 15-year-old girl.

While Burt’s trailer in Patrick’s Mobile Home Park — known on the show as “Myrtle Manor” — appeared to be empty in August, he lived there for the first season of the TLC show. The second season is expected to air in the spring, though TLC has not confirmed nor denied any cast changes.

Members of the Patrick family, who own the trailer park, said last month not all cast members returned for the next season.

Woman banned from college after stabbing

A Marietta, Ga. woman awaiting trial for attempted murder has been banned from Clinton College’s campus, the (Rock Hill) Herald reported.

Jasmine Smith, 19, will be escorted by a college administrator and police officers to collect her belongings from her dormitory before the ban begins and after she is released from jail on $90,000 bond. She has been accused of stabbing a woman in the arm on Friday afternoon.

Police said Smith was in an argument with Adavia Galloway, 19, of Gastonia, N.C., outside of a women’s dormitory around 4 p.m. when she pulled out a pocket knife and stabbed Galloway. One woman had accused the other of stealing from the other, though it is unclear who was the accuser, according to Executive Officer Mark Bollinger of the Rock Hill Police Department.

Smith is facing 30 years in prison.