In Brief: Nov. 6, 2013

DMX arrested in Upstate for 4th time

Rapper DMX was arrested for the fourth time this year Monday, The Associated Press reported.

The 42-year-old musician, whose real name is Earl Simmons, was arrested at the Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport around 5 p.m.

Officers at the airport, who knew Simmons had been arrested multiple times for driving without a license, arrested him when they saw him driving.

Simmons was arrested for driving under suspension, having an uninsured vehicle and not having a licensed vehicle.

In August, the rapper was arrested in the Upstate and charged with marijuana possession. He was due in court on a drunken driving charge two days after that arrest. In July, he was arrested for driving without a valid license.

Robbery didn’t occur in Kenny Miles shooting

Former South Carolina running back Kenny Miles was not the victim of an armed robbery attempt when he was shot in Irmo on Monday afternoon, The State reported.

Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott called a press conference Tuesday afternoon about the development. Officers currently do not know why Miles was shot in the arm.

Miles was expected to be released from the hospital Tuesday. He was listed in critical condition when he was taken to the hospital early Monday afternoon, and his injuries were considered life-threatening.

By evening, he had improved; his condition was stable, and his injuries were no longer considered life-threatening.

Initially, reporters were told Miles was the victim of an attempted armed robbery in an office park on Centrum Drive in Irmo.

Cruz visits Columbia evangelical pastors

U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, visited Columbia on Monday, speaking to a group of 500 evangelical pastors and their spouses, The State reported.

The first-term senator spoke to the American Renewal Project, which is funded by the American Family Association. Former U.S. House Speaker Newt Gingrich addressed the group twice before winning South Carolina’s Republican primary in 2012.

While widely discussed as a contender for the 2016 presidential race, Cruz said he was focused on the Senate for now.

Sen. Tim Scott, R-S.C., also addressed the group.

The American Renewal Project regularly brings groups of pastors together in battleground states to encourage evangelical Christians to register to vote. The pastors at Monday’s event were asked to hold voter registration drives at their churches in January.