In Brief: January 27, 2014

Red flag alert lifted by officials

The statewide red flag alert against outdoor burning was lifted Sunday by South Carolina officials, according to The Associated Press.

Officials implemented the alert Saturday because of high winds and low humidity, which are ideal conditions for wildfires to start.

The state Forestry Commission said Sunday that conditions had improved from the day before.

According to the state Forestry Commission, 51 fires across the state were reported. No injuries were reported.

It is still wildfire season in the Southeast, according to officials. Anyone burning anything outdoors has been advised to use caution. Those planning to conduct controlled burns are required by law to notify the state Forestry Commission in advance.

*Meteorologists predict Midlands snowfall *

Forecasters around the Midlands are calling for between 1 and 3 inches of snow or sleet Tuesday, The State reported.

A winter storm watch was issued Sunday by the National Weather Service for the southern half of the Midlands, including Richland and Lexington counties.

The wintry weather is predicted to fall midday Tuesday and continue through Wednesday morning. According to the National Weather Service, chances of snow in the Midlands are between 80 and 100 percent.

Should the forecast remain unchanged by Monday, school officials will need to make decisions regarding schedules for Tuesday and Wednesday.

Meteorologists predict temperatures will fall to the 20s Monday evening and rise to the mid 30s by Tuesday morning.

Charleston teen charged with S.C. State shooting

A Charleston man was charged with murder Saturday after shooting a fellow South Carolina State University student to death, The State reported.

Justin Bernard Singleton, 19, was arrested Saturday morning and detained at the Orangeburg-Calhoun Regional Detention Center, the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division reported.

Singelton was allegedly arguing with 20-year-old Brandon Robinson outside of an on-campus dorm when he pulled out a gun and shot Robinson in the neck area.

S.C. State and neighboring Claflin University were both locked down for much of Friday while authorities searched for those seen around Robinson prior to the shooting.

“Our hearts are heavy with grief and sorrow by the senseless act of violence, which took too soon a beloved member of our university family,”said Thomas J. Elzey, president of S.C. State, in a release.