Andy Grammer booked for CP spring concert

While Carolina Productions’ spring concert headliner will be fine by some students, others may need to just keep their heads up until next year.

Andy Grammer will perform at the Koger Center for the Arts at 8 p.m. on April 17, according to CP President Adam Mayer.

Doors will open at 7 p.m., and a special opening guest, who has yet to be announced, will start off the night. CP concert coordinator Connor Baade said the special opening guest should be announced by the end of this week, as soon as CP has the contract finalized.

In the past, spring concerts have been held in the Carolina Coliseum, but this year’s event will return to Koger.

“We’re changing up the atmosphere,” Mayer said. “We’re excited about it, and it’s an atmosphere change that I think a lot of students will like.”

And with this change of scenery, CP hopes to draw its biggest Koger crowd to date with Grammer.

“Koger holds about 2,000 people, I want to say,” Baade said. “We want it to be the most packed out Koger Center event that we’ve ever had.”

Baade said CP started looking in to booking Grammer last semester, and since his prices were reasonable, Grammer was hired.

But Baade said he is particularly excited to bring the yet-to-be-announced opening act to USC.

“Out of every artist we were looking at, the special guest was the most anyone has ever asked for,” Baade said. “All the texts I’ve ever gotten saying ‘bring this person, bring this person’ besides, like, Beyoncé, said they wanted this act.”

And aside from the performers, Baade said he’s looking forward to showing students the work his committee put into the planning and preparation of the concert, especially after last week’s Sperry Top-sider Vacationland tour.

“The Sperry concert was a great thing, but it was pretty much coordinated and run by Sperry,” Baade said. “This is going to be all our committee and just Carolina Productions, so it’s going to be really awesome to just see our work pay off.”