Gamecocks' biggest believer

If you’ve ever been to a basketball, baseball or volleyball game, you’ve probably seen a man with long hair and a beard, running around and getting the student section pumped up. Around USC, he is known as Gamecock Jesus or Baseline Jesus.

His real name is Carlton Thompson, and he is crazy about Gamecock athletics.

Thompson said he is really passionate about getting the crowd excited at sporting events and believes that students have the ability to have a positive effect on the outcomes of games.

“The fans can make a difference,” he said. “I like to get the fans involved in the game because they can help them actually win. They always feed off the crowd, the fans, and especially the student section.”

He said that’s what motivates him to keep coming back.

“Believe that you can come to the games and create a winning environment and a home court advantage and actually help the teams win,” he said. “I’ve seen it done hundreds of times. The main thing is you’ve to believe that you can do it.”

Thompson’s love for the Gamecocks began at age 15 when he went to opening night for the 1968 basketball season at the Carolina Coliseum. Frank McGuire was the coach, and after his brother camped out for two days to get tickets, Thompson had the chance to sit in the second row. Ever since then, he’s been a big fan of the Gamecocks.

Thompson went on to attend USC and graduate in the class of 1982 with a degree in nursing.

Gamecock Jesus — a reputation Thompson loves — has been around for more than 30 years and has seen the Gamecocks through both exciting and sad times. And now, he fondly remembers victories over big opponents such as Kentucky and Tennessee.

His favorite moment happened this season when the women’s basketball team won the SEC championship, which was the women’s basketball team’s first championship.

“We really need to get behind the women’s basketball team because they really have a chance to go all the way this year,” Thompson said.

Thompson also predicts big things for the volleyball team, which he believes has the potential to become great on the heels of excellent recruitment.

“I really love volleyball, and I predict that within the next couple of years, we’re going to have one of the best volleyball teams in the country,” he said.

Thompson travels to a lot of away games as well, and he always makes the trip to Clemson. He’s traveled as far as Omaha, Neb., and San Francisco to see South Carolina teams play.
Thompson said he has a lot of faith in the coaching and athletics staffs.

“We’ve probably got the best coaches in the whole country right here at Carolina,” he said. “We’re lead by the best athletic director, Ray Tanner. He believes, and everybody believes in him. Dawn Staley is the best and most decorated basketball player and coach in America.”