Holt elected as senate pro-tempore at first meeting

The 42 newly sworn-in senators milled around the student senate chamber Wednesday evening, waiting for the first session to begin.

“If you could turn your name tags so I can see your names, that’d be great,” Student Body Vice President Donnie Iorio said as the senators settled in. As it was the first meeting, there were 42 faces for Iorio to familiarize himself with.

There are currently eight vacancies in the senate, which can hold 50 members. Iorio encouraged new senators to get the word out about the vacancies with hopes of filling the gap.

No legislation was presented Wednesday, as it was the body’s first meeting. Instead, housekeeping matters were taken care of, including the election and approval of senate leadership.

Senators elected second-year political science student Jonathan Holt as senate president pro tempore, and they approved nine new committee chairs and assignments.

Three senators challenged Holt for the position, including Morgan Smith, Brian Samples and Dennzon Winley. Several senators spoke on behalf of the candidates before Holt was elected with 20 votes.

“Our time is now,” Holt said. “It’s time to begin, and I hope to be the advocate for you.”

After his first meeting as senate president, Iorio said he thought the meeting ran smoothly, and he was impressed with the initiative several senators took, especially since all but seven were returning members.

Outgoing SG executive officers Chase Mizzell, Ryan Bailey and Haley Guyton stood behind the velvet rope separating the senate floor from the gallery, and watched the next group begin its term.

“I’ve actually never witnessed a senate session not from behind the bar,” Bailey said. “Isn’t that crazy?”

And with the groundwork set for the body’s next year, Iorio congratulated the senate for a final time and reminded them of what was to come.

“The work is only beginning,” Iorio said. “It’s time to get to work.”