In Brief: March 23, 2014

McConnell named College of Charleston president

Lt. Gov. Glenn McConnell was named president of the College of Charleston, his alma mater, according to The State.

McConnell will succeed current president George Benson, who has led the school for the last seven years.

“I am confident we can create a transformational future for the College of Charleston that will be our generation’s greatest legacy not only to the students now assembled on this historic campus but also for generations yet to come,” he wrote in a letter to the presidential search committee.

As McConnell leaves the lieutenant governor’s post, he leaves a vacancy that may not be filled for seven months, as Senate President Pro Tempore John Courson said he would not fill the position, though he is next in line.

Father and son charged with farm equipment theft

A Batesburg father and son have been charged with a daylight farm equipment theft by Lexington County Sheriff’s Department deputies, according to The State.

Jerry Myer Hill, 68, and Darryl Jerome Hill, 43, were charged and have both been released from jail on $15,000 bond each.

Case arrest warrants alleged that the father and son “unlawfully entered a storage building in woods across the street from a home on Peachland Road” at around 1 p.m. Thursday, Sheriff Jimmy Metts said in a press release.

Metts said warrants alleged that the two men stole four metal pig feeders, one motorized land tiller, one still front bumper for a farm tractor, one metal Hobart commercial dishwasher and other items worth a combined $750.

Third dead dolphin found in Beaufort County this week

A third dead bottlenose dolphin was found this week in Beaufort County waters, according to The State.

Susan Trogdon, a Beaufort resident, said she had been paddling in the Harbour River Saturday morning when she saw the dead dolphin with a foot-long scrape on its side floating in the marsh grass. Trogdon then contacted the S.C. Department of Natural Resources.

“We saw lots of happy, healthy ones, they were all around us, so it was quite shocking and very sad,” Trogdon said.

A bottlenose dolphin was found dead on Thursday in the May River in Bluffton and another dying bottlenose dolphin was found washed ashore on Hilton Head Island Monday but died before marine biologists could reach the animal.