In Brief: March 5, 2014

Clemson football players suspended

Four Clemson football players have been suspended from the first game of the 2014 season, The State reported.
Coach Dabo Swinney made the announcement on Tuesday, saying he was disappointed the players will miss the opening game against Georgia on August 30.
The four players are David Beasley, an offensive guard, Shaq Anthony, an offensive tackle, Garry Peters, a defensive back, and Corey Crawford, a defensive end. Crawford and Beasley were starters during last year’s season.
Swinney called the players “four good young men” but said they will miss the game because they broke a team rule.
“A huge part of our program is teaching accountability, responsibility and that there are consequences for your actions,” Swinney said.

Fake doctor pleads guilty to identity theft

Authorities say that a man who treated hundreds of Columbia patients has pleaded guilty to stealing a physician’s identity and pretending to be a doctor, The Associated Press reported.
Ernest Addo faces two years in prison after pleading guilty to a federal charge of using someone else’s identity to commit health care fraud. He will be sentenced in June.
Authorities say Addo stole the identity of a friend who was a practicing physician in the Orangeburg area. He was arrested in Austell, Ga., in 2012 and charged with practicing medicine without a license and illegally distributing controlled substances.
The 51-year-old remains jailed, and his attorneys declined to comment after his hearing on Tuesday.

Protesters arrested by the State House

About two dozen protesters blocked the Pendleton Street entrance to the State House parking garage, and 11 of them were arrested, The State reported.
The people participating in Truthful Tuesday blocked the roadway to protest South Carolina’s rejection of the Affordable Care Act and Medicaid expansion, holding signs that said “Morality is not Partisan” and “SHAME.”
Among those arrested were Kitt Grach, 74, of Charleston, who said she did not need to worry about an arrest on her record because she doesn’t need to find a job.
Shawn Crowe, a self-described Republican and student studying engineering, was also arrested. He said he “never left the Republican Party, but they left me.”
The arrested protesters will appear in court March 28.