In Brief: April 14, 2014

Strippers sue South Carolina clubs over wages

Strippers saying they weren’t paid according to federal standards are suing several strip clubs in South Carolina, according to The Associated Press.

The group of strippers filed a lawsuit earlier this year that accused Columbia and Greenville clubs of violating the minimum wage and overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.

The group consists of three Midlands women, who are suing the operators of Heart Breakers Gentlemen’s Club and Platinum Plus in Columbia and Greenville, respectively.

Club operators denied the allegations, saying the dancers were paid fairly as independent contractors. The operators filed a counterclaim last month, in which they sought the strippers’ dance fees in addition to their regular wages.

Other states around the country are seeing similar cases; a federal New York City judge ruled in September that exotic dancers are entitled to at least a minimum wage.

Medicaid looks to social media to gauge interest

Medicaid in South Carolina is paying Clemson University’s Social Analytics Institute $50,000 to keep tabs on Facebook, Twitter, bloggers and other social media, according to The Associated Press.

The state Department of Health and Human Services will use the information to help with customer service, The Post and Courier reported.

Each day, the Social Analytics Institute searches for terms related to the new federal health care law and state’s Medicaid program. The results of the searches are reported to agency officials on daily, weekly and monthly basis.

According to Medicaid officials, the information is helpful finding people who have struggled with their health coverage and gauge opinions on Medicaid.
S.C. Medicaid is choosing whether to sign another year-long contract with the institute.

Bubba Watson wins second Masters title

Bubba Watson cinched his second Masters Tournament title Sunday at Augusta National Golf Club, according to The Los Angeles Times.

Watson took over the final round of the tournament with three birdies and a three-shot win.

Masters rookie Jordan Spieth started Sunday off as co-leader with Watson and shot even par for the rest of the day. Spieth tied at five under par with Jonas Blixt.

Miguel Angel Jimenez finished the tournament in fourth place.

More than 450 USC students, mainly from the College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management, worked the Masters Tournament in 2013, and hundreds more returned this year to sell merchandise, prepare food and supervise other employees.