In Brief: Sept. 10, 2014

Spring Valley coach arrested for assault

Former NFL and University of South Carolina running back Harold Green II was charged with assault, The State reported.

He was accused of assaulting five female students at Spring Valley, a local high school.

A volunteer coach for the Spring Valley football team, he was accused of inappropriately touching female students, ages 15 to 17, from Aug. 9 to 28.

The girls he touched served as athletic trainers for the team through a program that allows students interested in sports medicine to work on the sidelines during the games.

Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott said that Green would accompany the touching with comments or other actions that would make the students feel uncomfortable.

Green, who was inducted into the S.C. Football Hall of Fame in 2002, played for South Carolina for three years and served in the NFL for nine seasons.

He has not returned to Spring Valley since the incidents.

Apple unveils new phones, smartwatch

Apple held its annual live-stream Tuesday where they unveiled plans for the new iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and the Apple Watch, USA Today reported.

The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus have larger screens compared to its predecessors, boasting a 4.7-inch and a 5.5-inch screen, respectively.

They both include Retina HD displays and a bigger keyboard with shortcuts for commands like cut or copy.

The body of the newest phones from Apple are curved around the sides and include a glass front. The back of the phone is made of anodized aluminum.

A new feature, called “reachability” lets users double-touch the fingerprint scanner so that they can reach the top of the display.

Apple has also enhanced its Wi-Fi, allowing users to make calls over Wi-Fi and allow them to easily switch to cellular mode as they move in and out of coverage.

The Apple Watch, a smartwatch, will allow users to customize the background of their watch and is compatible with Siri.

It will be compatible with iPhones, iPads and Macs, allowing users to start composing emails on the watch and then finishing them on a larger device.

The watch is set to come out in early 2015.

Columbia receives grant from Transportation Department

The U.S. Department of Transportation awarded the city of Columbia the Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) grant Tuesday, The State reported.

The grant, which is worth $10 million, provides funds for the city to bring back the Seamless City Revitalization Project.

The Seamless City Revitalization Project is a 1.27 mile stretch of North Main Street between Anthony and Fuller Avenues that seeks to support an extensive downtown streetscaping initiative.

According to Mayor Steve Benjamin, the grant has translated into about a $40 million investment. He said, “That’s not just a big deal, it’s a dream come true.”

Columbia is one of two cities in the state to receive the TIGER grant. Along with the Columbia, Mount Pleasant also received a TIGER grant.