In Brief: Sept. 3, 2014

Planned bathroom brawl leads to 11 arrests

Lower Richland High School saw 11 student arrests after the students allegedly tried to organize a fight in a school restroom, The State reported.

The students, aged 14-18, had gathered around 8 a.m. to organize a fight between two of them, according to the Richland County Sheriff’s Department,. Upon being interrupted by a teacher, the students fled but were later identified with school surveillance video.

Abram Walker, 18, Davon Young, 17, and Shakimo Smith, 17, are charged with disturbing schools. Smith also faces a charge of affray, a charge related to disturbing the peace that applies specifically to fights. Eight other students were minors and have not had their names or charges released.

Walker, Young, and Smith were to be taken to Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center while the minors were released to their parents awaiting a possible family court hearings.

Jenny Sanford demands ex-husband’s psychiatric evaluation

Jenny Sanford, ex-wife of U.S. Rep. Mark Sanford, filed a motion in court to force her estranged husband to undergo psychiatric and psychological evaluations, the Associated Press reported.

Troubles in court for 1st District Rep. Mark Sanford began in 2010 after his wife filed for divorce on the grounds her husband had been unfaithful with a woman he met in Argentina. The divorce was quickly granted, due partly to her husband’s admission he had carried on an affair with the woman, to whom he is now engaged.

This newest turn in the couple’s widely publicized split comes as a part of child custody hearings for their 15-year-old son, the youngest of four.

Marital troubles have not seemed to affect Sanford’s political career however, as the former governor served out the remaining two years of his term after the scandal became public in 2009 and secured a U.S. Congress seat in a 2013 special election.

Authorities release photo of Greenville gunman

Greenville County deputies released a photo Wednesday of the only suspect in three murders that occurred Friday and Monday, WIS reported.

Evan Bennett, 23, is accused of shooting two security guards Friday — what Sheriff Steve Loftis described as a “thrill killing” — before shooting and killing 58-year-old Gregory Jones Monday. Bennett then drove to a Greenville County Law Enforcement Center, where he shot and injured a police officer. Bennett then killed himself.

The injured officer was shot three times and has been left unnamed. Authorities said that he was in “serious but stable condition.”
The two slain security guards, Bobby Wayne Wood, 65, and Richard Ellison, 53, were working at a non-operational textile plant when they were killed Friday. Jones, Bennett’s stepfather, was killed after confronting Bennett about his possible involvement in the Friday shootings.

Before leaving his house in black tactical gear, Bennett was reported saying, “the war is just beginning.”