In Brief: Feb. 23, 2015

Bassmaster Classic held in Greenville native hooks win

Bassmaster Classic, one of the country’s largest fishing competitions, was hosted in Greenville, South Carolina this year, and it was South Carolinian Casey Ashley that reeled in this year’s win, according to WIS-TV.

In a last minute swoop, Ashley, from Donalds, South Carolina, moved from fifth place  to first in the competition Sunday, the final day of the competition. His combined three-day weight total was 50 pounds, one ounce. USC also placed into the rankings in the college division of the competition, coming in third behind the University of North Carolina, Charlotte and Clemson University. 

The fishing competition was hosted at Lake Hartwell, and the Greenville public was invited to engage in the weekend’s festivities with boat launches, expos and weigh-ins throughout the weekend.

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor

Bull Street to become new center of downtown

Columbia Common is developing on Bull Street and is set to become the new center of downtown. The 165 acre redevelopment project is considered to be the largest and most significant land deal in Columbia’s modern history, according to The State.

The architect heading the project, Bob Hughes, is serving as the “master developer” of Columbia Commons. He is dividing the development between outside developers and his own company, Greenville’s Hughes Development. 

Already, an 8,000 seat, $37 million minor league baseball stadium is being built on the land. Soon, construction of a 120,000 square-foot office and retail building will add to the Columbia Common district. The developers will be required to save five historic buildings located in the district: the Babcock Building, the Williams building, the laundry, the bakery and the Chapel of Hope.

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor

Columbia Police investigate fatal Schoolhouse Road shooting

An investigation by the Columbia Police Department has commenced after a fatal shooting that took place on Saturday night. 

According to the preliminary information, a man entered a woman’s home in the 2800 block of Schoolhouse Road when the woman returned home. The fight between the man and the woman broke out and became physical. Amidst the fight, the woman allegedly shot the man.

The man was transported to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. No charges have been filed and the department will continue to release information as it becomes available, according to CPD spokeswoman Jennifer Timmons.

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor